The temple of the goddess Mahalakshmi was built by Karnadeva in 634 CE Chalukya reign. Mounted on a stone platform, the murti of the crowned goddess is made of gemstone and weighs about 40 kilograms. The image of Mahalakshmi carved in black stone is 3 feet in height. The Shri Yantra is carved on one of the walls in the temple. A stone lion (the vahana of the goddess), stands behind the statue. The crown contains a five headed snake. Further, she holds a Matulinga fruit, mace, shield and a pānapātra (drinking bowl). In Lakshmi Sahasranama of Skanda Purana, Goddess Lakshmi is praised as “Om Karaveera Nivasiniye Namaha” means “Glory to the Goddess who lives in Karaveera” and as “Om Sesha Vasuki Samsevyaa Namaha” means “Glory to Goddess who is served by Adi Sesha and Vasuki”. They are the 119th and 698th names of Lakshmi in Lakshmi Sahasranama. This is also the description mentioned in the Rahasya of Devi Mahatmya. Professor Prabhakar Malshe says, “The name of Karaveera is still locally used to denote the city of Kolhapur”. Unlike most Hindu sacred images, which face north or east, the deity faces west (Pashchim). There is a small open window on the western wall, through which the light of the setting sun falls on the face of the image for three days around the 21st of each March and September.There are a number of other shrines in the courtyard to the Navagrahas, Surya, Mahishasuramardini, Vitthal-Rukmini, Shiva, Vishnu, Bhavani and others. Some of these images date back to the 11th century, while some are of recent origin. Also located in the courtyard is the temple tank “Manikarnika Kund”, on whose bank is another shrine to Visweshwar Mahadev.
Shalini Palace in the city of Kolhapur in the Indian state of Maharashtra was built in 1931–34 at a cost of Rs. 800,000 and was named after Princess Shalini Raje of Kolhapur. The Palace stands on the west bank of the picturesque Lake Rankala (which has a circumference of 2.5 miles (4.0 km)) and is surrounded by towering palm trees, lush greenery and lovely gardens.The palace has been converted 1987 into a 3-star hotel and has been used as a background for many films. Because of heavy losses it had to be shut down in 2014 and given over to the Municipality. It is closed by now (march 2018).The Palace is built of intricately carved black stone and Italian marble. Rich decorative wooden doorways fitted with etched Belgian glass bearing the crest of the Maharaja of Kolhapur, add to the regal grandeur. Majestic black stone arches form the verandah and the porch. The stained glass windows and the huge tower clock are restored to their original beauty.
New Palace, Kolhapur is a palace situated in Kolhapur, in the Indian state of Maharashtra. The Palace took 7 years to complete, from 1877 to 1884, costing about seven lakhs of rupees. Being an excellent specimen of Indian architecture built in black polished stone, it has been an attraction for tourists. It has extensive premises with a garden, fountain and wrestling ground. The whole building is eight-angled and has a tower in the middle. The clock on it was fixed in 1877. At separate distances there are small towers. On every glass are painted the events in Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj’s life, the founder of Maratha Empire. There is a zoo and a ground lake. Even today, it is the residence of Chhatrapati Shahu Maharaja, the direct descendant of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaja.
Mant’s masterpiece at Kolhapur, however, is the New Palace, 1.5 km further north on Bhausingji Road. Completed in the same year as the Hospital, this complex presents a novel blend of disparate features in contrasting basalt and sandstone. The principal south facade presents a double-storeyed range, with Neo-Mughal lobed arches beneath and temple-like columns and brackets above. This scheme is interrupted by trefoil arches capped with curving cornices and small domes. The same elements cap the octagonal corner towers.
The ground floor of the New Palace accommodates the Shahaji Chhatrapati Museum, given over to memorabilia of the Kolhapur rulers. Several tourists from across the country visit the New Palace each year. This museum exhibits royal ways of existence.
It is dedicated to a fine collection of possessions of Chhatrapatis of Kolhapur like costumes, weapons, games, jewellery, embroidery and paraphernalia such as silver elephant saddles. A letter from the British Viceroy and Governor General of India is the other memorabilia. There is also one of Aurangzeb’s swords at the Shahaji Chhatrapati Museum. One section has stuffed Tigers, Tiger heads, Wild Dog, Sloth Bear, staring Wild Buffalo, Lion, Black Panther, Wild Boar, Black Buck, a number of other Deer varieties, and a Himalayan Black Bear.
The Darbar Hall occupies a double-height space in middle of the Palace. The side walls display lobed arches filled with stained glass illustrating scenes from the life of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj ; carved columns with temple-like brackets support the cast iron balcony above. A raised throne is placed at one end of the Hall. Photos include one of the Maharajah with his hundredth dead tiger, elephant hunts and a series detailing how to train a cheetah.
Before the eighth century, Rankala was a stone quarry. In the 9th century, an earthquake caused immense structural damage to the quarry, causing water to accumulate from an underground source forming the Rankala Lake. This historic lake features a Hindu temple with a Nandi. According to local Hindu beliefs, Lord Shiva uses the Nandi, moves a single wheat grain towards the lake, and backs about a distance of single rice grain daily. Hindu beliefs state that if Lord Shiva reaches Rankala, the apocalypse will begin.
This historical lake is a treasure trove for many Hinduists and scenery admirers. Rankala features the “Shalini Palace” to the north, the “Padmaraje Garden” to the northeast, and a recently developed park towards the southeast bank. Rankala’s southeast park has a fresh food market. Activities like horseriding and boating can also be experienced. Shalini Palace, made up of intricately carved black stone and Italian marble, has now been converted into a hotel.
Jyotiba Temple (Marathi: ज्योतिबा) is a holy site of Hinduism near Wadi Ratnagiri in Kolhapur district of Maharashtra state in western India. The deity of the temple is known by the same name. An annual fair takes place on the full moon night of the Hindu months of Chaitra and Vaishakha.
Jyotiba temple is situated at a height of 3124 feet above sea level and is dedicated to Jyotiba. The temple is 18 km north-west of Kolhapur.According to the tradition, the original Kedareshwar temple was built by Navji Saya. In 1730, Ranoji Shinde built the present temple in its place. This shrine is 57 ft x 37 ft x 77 ft high including the spire. The second temple of Kedareshwar is 49 ft x 22 ft x 89 ft high. This shrine was constructed by Daulatrao Shinde in 1808. The third temple of Ramling is 13 ft x 13 ft x 40 ft high including its dome. This temple was constructed in circa 1780 by Malji Nilam Panhalkar.The interior of the temple is ancient. There are other few temples and Light-towers in the premises.
On Chaitra Poornima of Hindu calendar, a big fair is held, when lacs of devotees come with tall (Sasan) sticks. Shree kshretra padali, vihe, kolhapur chatrapati, himmat bahadur chavan, Gwalior shinde kival navajibaba are some sasankathis in this festival. Due to scattering of ‘Gulal’ by the devotees the entire temple complex appears pink and even the Jyotiba hill has turned pink, resulting in people referring to the temple as the Pink temple. Being Sunday is day dedicated to Jyotiba, there is always rush over there
Panhala fort (also known as Panhalgad and Panhalla (literally “the home of serpents”)), is located in Panhala, 20 kilometres northwest of Kolhapur in Maharashtra, India. It is strategically located looking over a pass in the Sahyadri mountain range which was a major trade route from Bijapur in the interior of Maharashtra to the coastal areas. Due to its strategic location, it was the centre of several skirmishes in the Deccan involving the Marathas, the Mughals and the British East India Company, the most notable being the Battle of Pavan Khind. Here, the queen regent of Kolhapur, Tarabai, spent her formative years. Several parts of the fort and the structures within are still intact. It is also called as the ‘Fort of Snakes’ as it is zigzagged in shape.